Here are some resources to understand why the IHRA Working Definition of Antisemitism is the wrong way to fight antisemitism.
- A short video from Independent Jewish Voices, Canada: https://www.noihra.ca/
- Also from Canada, How Not To Fight Antisemitism https://ajvnz.files.wordpress.com/2020/12/ijv_ihrareport.pdf
- Jewish Voice For Peace has compiled a book on antisemitism, BDS and working in solidarity: http://onantisemitism.com/
- The Harvard Law Review, on the use of antidiscrimination law to suppress work for Palestinian rights, notes ““there are certainly respectable reasons for disfavoring complicity in Israel’s human rights record. Moreover, the status of being Jewish is not ‘inextricably tied’ to such conduct or complicity – and to suggest otherwise would in fact ring anti-Semitic. Zionism does not reflect the views of all Jewish people…. The past decade has seen antidiscrimination law weaponized to undercut a human rights movement … – a trend that threatens other controversial political movements.” https://harvardlawreview.org/2020/02/wielding-antidiscrimination-law-to-suppress-the-movement-for-palestinian-rights/?fbclid=IwAR2iLPY5U57GtfKy2sOmx6XToMNfpPlb7pyY8-yoUG_Pdo2SVGJ0ycNhhwg
- A German legal opinion on the “severe deficits” of the definition: https://www.rosalux.de/en/publication/id/41168/on-the-ihras-working-definition-of-antisemitism
- Concise comments by Brian Klug, senior research fellow and a member of the philosophy faculty at Oxford University: the IHRA definition fails on its own terms. https://ajvnz.files.wordpress.com/2020/12/b-klug-transcript-3-oct-2020.pdf
- Here is a recent list of groups who publically oppose the use of the IHRA definition. https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/whos-against-adopting-the-ihra-antisemitism-definition/
- A group of 122 Palestinian and Arab academics, journalists and intellectuals add their concerns about the IHRA definition: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2020/nov/29/palestinian-rights-and-the-ihra-definition-of-antisemitism
How has the IHRA’s Working Definition been used in practice?
- “Some 300 Jewish studies scholars from across the political spectrum signed a new petition in support of Peter Schaefer, who stepped down as director of the Berlin Jewish Museum following a tweet perceived by critics as supporting the boycott Israel movement.” See also the petition by Talmudic scholars, halfway through this article: https://www.jta.org/2019/06/20/global/300-jewish-studies-scholars-sign-letter-supporting-embattled-former-berlin-jewish-museum-director
- The ‘witch hunt… against critics of Israel.’ Ha’aretz https://ajvnz.files.wordpress.com/2020/12/witch-hunt-germanyhaaretz.com-1.pdf
- Jonathan Cook https://www.jonathan-cook.net/blog/2020-12-11/israel-antisemitism-claims-terror/